Sunday, January 3, 2010

Little Women (1994)


Is there anything cosier than a movie about a family of 4 sisters growing up and going through some hardships together before finding happiness? I greatly enjoyed Louisa May Alcott's story which I read as a teenager and now, after watching this movie I feel like rereading it again.


With a few changes that don't ruin the story (but might annoy faithful fans of the book) the movie follows the four March sisters growing up in Massachusetts during the US Civil War. They are raised by their mother, Marmee, portrayed here as a strong matriarch with a bit of a feminist side, as their father is away fighting the war. They go through happiness and sorrow together, they fight and make up and learn a few valuable lessons along the way.

The actors do a great job of bringing the characters to life. It was fun watching Winona Ryder, Kirsten Dunst, Claire Danes and Christian Bale looking a lot younger and Susan Sarandon is superb as Marmee. This is a movie that relies a lot on the interpretation, the mannerisms and little quirks of each character and these are perfectly captured by those portraying them thus making it a very charming movie. One special word for Gabriel Byrne who makes an endearing and lovable Professor Bhaer.

Visually it is also a beautiful movie and totally fits into the idea I had on my head while reading the book. I watched it during the Holiday season and while this is not a Christmas movie I think the family values that are mentioned make it a perfect choice for this time of year.

Not only do I plan to watch it again in the future but I have decided that I must reread the book, and then, just because I'm curious, to look for the other adaptations of this lovely story.

IMDB

This is an entry for the Period Drama Challenge - Around The World - US

6 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite films and holds one of my unforgettable memories. We would sit together, Mum, me and my sister, and watch the film and laugh and cry at the right parts.

    Winona Ryder is brilliant! Just the Jo I imagined when I read the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reread the book recently with Sophie. And I've been meaning to watch one of the movies made, but not sure if I should watch the most recent one with Winona or if I should go with the more classic one with Katherine Hepburn.

    hmmm choices....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winona Ryder version is by far the best adaptation. the Katherine Hepburn version is little over the top according to me. Still I did enjoy it . If you like the book you will enjoy any of the 3 versions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kals and Shweta, I'm so glad you enjoyed it too.

    Leya, I think you should watch both. I plan to reread the book soon and then look for the other adaptations...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lovely movie! My family and I watch it for Christmas each year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sweet memories ... Thank you, Ana.

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...