Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Countess Conspiracy - Courtney Milan

13489925
Sebastian Malheur is the most dangerous sort of rake: an educated one. When he’s not scandalizing ladies in the bedchamber, he’s outraging proper society with his scientific theories. He’s desired, reviled, acclaimed, and despised—and he laughs through it all.
Violet Waterfield, the widowed Countess of Cambury, on the other hand, is entirely respectable, and she’d like to stay that way. But Violet has a secret that is beyond ruinous, one that ties her irrevocably to England’s most infamous scoundrel: Sebastian’s theories aren’t his. They’re hers.So when Sebastian threatens to dissolve their years-long conspiracy, she’ll do anything to save their partnership...even if it means opening her vulnerable heart to the rake who could destroy it for good.

It took me a long time to write this review because I really had a hard time collecting my thoughts about this book. I wanted to love it. The idea of female scientists in the past appeals to me and I would love to see them recognised. I also liked the idea of someone as steadfast in his feelings as Sebastian apparently was. The thing is, I didn't really like Violet!

I'm thinking that it might be because I felt little empathy with her character. I couldn't help feeling sorry for her and her past but I never warmed up to the character.

On the other hand I loved Sebastian. I loved his sense of friendship, how strong his love for her was and how that made him  better person. I couldn't understand why he had fallen in love with her but I liked him.

Surprisingly I also liked Violet's mom very much. I only realised it more than halfway through the book but she was  very intelligent lady and with the courage required to save herself and hr daughters.

I am curious about the next book but I am not sure if I will be in a hurry to get it as Milan's heroines don't seem to work well for me.

Grade: 3/5


1 comment:

  1. I'm curious over this one...I still have the previous to read and will do so next month. Loved the Duchess War!

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...